We really should have done an update by now, but there is just so much going on at such a furious pace of late (including the creation of a facebook group by (apparently) Elkington et al … and the appearance of something very similar on ebay) … a number of us have been discussing things behind the scenes and Tom Verenna has put together an excellent video which pretty much sums up the state of the question (if there is any question other than, ‘how fake are they’?):
Not sure if we ever mentioned Tom’s excellent summary of the ‘state of the question’ at Bible and Interpretation: Artifacts and the Media: Lead Codices and the Public Portrayal of History. You can follow the latest developments/discoveries by the genuine scholars examining the claims at the Biblioblog Reference Library’s page: The Jordan Lead Codices
One of those overviewish things commenting on Canadian Content at the upcoming Toronto International Film Festival inter alia tantalizes thusly:
Even Canada’s favourite oddball talent and enfant terrible, Guy Maddin, is making a return to the big screen with his indescribable Keyhole – a family drama that pays homage to Homer’s Odyssey and stars Jason Patric and Isabella Rosellini as the would-be Odysseus and Penelope.
Here’s the plot summary from the IMDB:
A gangster and deadbeat father, Ulysses Pick (Patric), returns home after a long absence. He is toting two teenagers: a drowned girl, Denny, who has mysteriously returned to life; and a bound-and-gagged hostage, who is actually his own teenage son, Manners. Confused Ulysses doesn’t recognize his own son, but he feels with increasing conviction he must make an indoor odyssey from the back door of his home all the way up, one room at a time, to the marriage bedroom where his wife Hyacinth (Rossellini) awaits.
… might be stretching the ClassCon a bit, I suspect …
A few items from yesterday’s tour of the Classical blogosphere:
- New publications on Spanish Epigraphy September 2, 2011 JoaquinGomezPantoja
- Greek Plays: Oedipus the King (BBC / Open University, 1977) September 2, 2011 Amanda Wrigley
- Musing about Mithras September 1, 2011 Roger Pearse
- Possibly On This Day – Pheidippides and the Marathon to Sparta September 2, 2011 (N.S. Gill)
- Friday Funnies–Ancient Style! September 2, 2011 (Vicky Alvear Shecter)
- Dueling sites for the baptism of Jesus September 2, 2011 t (Jim Davila)
- Treglia di Pontelatone (Ce). Il corso di archeologia “Castra Hannibalis” giunge alla decima edizione September 2, 2011 Martina Calogero
- Open Access Journal: Exemplaria Classica September 2, 2011 Charles Ellwood Jones