Mark Goodacre: The Texas Sharpshooter Fallacy and the Talpiot Tomb.
lizgloyn: Classical Association Conference live tweets.
A Don’s Life by Mary Beard: Mr “Hot Sex”: the full story.
[nice use of a blog to augment the documentary!!!]
Mike Anderson’s Ancient History: Christianity and the Roman Empire – Part II The First Century Continued.
About.com Ancient / Classical History: From 1st Among Equals to Lord and Master.
[on the Dominate]
Beachcombing’s Bizarre History Blog: Pyramids in Italy.
ante diem iv kalendas maias
- ludi Florales … a.k.a. Floralia (day 2) — a festival originally ordered in response to an interpretation of the Sybilline books in 238 B.C., it fell into desuetude only to be revived in 173 B.C.; it was a general festival of drinking and other merriment in honour of Flora, who presided over (of course) flowers and their blossoms
- 12 B.C. — consecration of the signum et ara Vestae on the Palatine; it was a shrine built by Augustus as pontifex maximus to house the palladium (maybe) which Aeneas brought from Troy
- 32 A.D. — birth of the future emperor-for-a-little-while Otho
- 1st century — martyrdom of Aphrodisius and companions in what would become Languedoc
- 304 A.D. — martyrdom of Pollio in Pannonia
[this is our 5000th post since moving to WordPress!]
The Silk Road Gourmet: Ancient Roman Cookoff Entry 2: Two Sauces for Fowl and a Patina of Asparagus and Grouse.
Blogging Pompeii: Pompeii & Herculaneum: Rediscovering Roman Art & Culture.
Ancient and Modern Olympics: A death in the gymnasium.