Most of the coverage of this one — both in Italian and English — is pretty much the same. The site is Rione Terra, which overlooks Pozzuoli. Here’s the coverage from AdnKronos:
Archaeologists have unearthed a number of ancient Roman treasures during excavation outside the southern Italian city of Naples. Twelve ancient statues, columns and fragments bearing inscriptions from what appear to be monuments from the Republican and Imperial periods of ancient Roman history have been uncovered.
A head of the Roman emperor Tiberius bearing a crown of laurel leaves, two other male heads and a fragment of a painting are among the objects from the late Republican period in the 3rd century BC discovered by a team of archeologists at the site in Rione Terra di Pozzuoli.
Two female heads were also uncovered. One may be the head of an Amazon warrior from the 2nd century AD, while the second is believed to be a Roman empress from the late Julio-Claudian dynasty.
The dig also unearthed part of a sculpture of a horse and an antefix, a giant mask depicting a Gorgon or mythological beast dating from the 2nd century AD.
Other finds include four busts, a statue of a robed woman, another of a woman wearing a toga, and a frieze portraying two human figures.
The area is located on a hill and archaeologists believe it contained public buildings and houses overlooking the sea. Only part of the site has so far been excavated.
The archaeologists are working under the supervision of the Italian culture ministry’s archaeological department for Naples and Pompeii.
… it would appear that the “Tiberius” mentioned up there should actually be Titus. Here’s a photo of the head:
This is possibly a photo of the ’empress’ mentioned:
A photo of the ‘Gorgon’ (I think) accompanies Rossella Lorenzi’s report for Discovery News. There may be a video report there as well, but I can’t seem to find it.
- Marble Head of Emperor Titus Found (Discovery News)
- Marble head of Emperor Titus found (Discovery News via MSNBC)
- Italy: Archeological treasures found near Naples (AdnKronos – English)
- Busti, teste e sculture riemergono da scavi nel Napoletano (AdnKronos – Italian)
- Archaeologists unearth ancient Roman treasures in Naples (New Kerala … repeats the Tiberius typo)
- SCULTURE E BUSTI EMERGONO SOTTO IL RIONE TERRA A POZZUOLI (Cultural News)
- ARCHEOLOGIA: NUOVI REPERTI EMERSI DA SCAVI RIONE TERRA POZZUOLI (AGI)