Much excitement over the past few days over the ‘re-exposure’ of the very nice 4th century Roman mosaic from Lod. It was originally discovered back in 1996, then recovered because funds weren’t available at the time for its preservation. Now, however, the Leon Levy Foundation and the Jerome Levy Foundation are partnering up with the IAA to preserve this very impressive bit of flooring. It is destined to be removed from the site and given ‘proper’ conservation treatment, whence it will spend some time, apparently, at the Met.
The IAA has a zip file of some high resolution images which you might want to check out; seems to be an awful lot of animals-eating-other-animals in this mosaic.
- The Shelby White and Leon Levy Lod Mosaic Archaeological Center
- After 13 Years of Being Covered –One of the Most Impressive and Largest Mosaics in the Country will be Re-exposed (IAA)
- Israel’s largest late Roman mosaic, once hidden, is back on display (LA Times)
- Ancient mosaic comes out of hiding in Israel (Boston Globe)
- Ancient Roman Floor Mosaic Unveiled In Israel (Huffington Post)