Seen on the Classicists list:
Metaphor in Greek and Roman Literature and Culture (a one-day workshop)
Friday 4 May, 2012
School of Classics, University of St Andrews
* Anna Uhlig (Cambridge): Sea as metaphor in fifth-century Greece.
* Sebastian Matzner (KCL): Metaphor’s other: making sense of metonymy.
* Nicolas Wiater (St Andrews): The erotics of mimesis: language, time, and desire in Greek classicism.
* Helen Lovatt (Nottingham): On the edges of images: blurring the boundaries between simile and
metaphor in Statius’ Thebaid.
* Victoria Rimell (Rome): Senecan dwelling and the conditions of metaphor.
* Shadi Bartsch (Chicago): The pleasure of the trope: pagan and Christian authors on the ethics of
All welcome. For registration information, please see:
For other queries, please contact Jason König (jpk3 AT st-andrews.ac.uk)