ante diem xii kalendas decembres
- Mercatus — time to restock the cupboards after the Jupiterfest!
- 63 A.D. — shipwreck of St. Paul (by one reckoning)
- 270 (?) — birth of the future emperor Maximinus Daia (more)
- 284 A.D. — elevation of Diocletian to the rank of Caesar (more)
- 1846 — birth of Maurice Croiset (one of the founders of Les Belles Lettres)
- 1902 — birth of Wolfgang Kunkel (Roman legal historian)
- 1979 — death of Pierre Wuillemier (someone needs to put a biography on the web for him!)