First International Postgraduate Conference
«Cupis volitare per auras»
Books, libraries and textual transmission from the Ancient to the Medieval World
University of Bari (Italy), 27th – 28th October 2016.
Confirmed keynote speaker: Stephen J. Harrison (Corpus Christi College, Oxford)
In the epigram I, 3 («Cupis volitare per auras») Martial addresses his book and blames it for wanting to fly away and become public instead of staying home.
Prolepsis Association is delighted to announce the first International Postgraduate Conference whose theme is production, transmission and circulation of ancient literary and historical texts from the Classical antiquity to the Byzantine and Medieval age. Particular attention will be given to papers dealing with the following research interests:
– Ancient writing materials
– Ancient libraries, scribes’ and scholars’ activity, history of the collections
– Orality and writing in the Greek archaic age
– Books from the Classical to the Imperial age: Ekdosis and diadosis
– Textual transmission of Jewish and Christian texts
– Indirect tradition of ancient texts
– Greek and Latin texts translated into other ancient languages
– Literary texts on inscriptions
– Ancient, late-antique and medieval commentaries, Greek and Latin textual criticism
– Centers of book production in the Byzantine and Medieval age
The scientific committee may also accept papers in related fields, provided that a consistent connection with the main topic of the conference is shown.
The participation in the Postgraduate Conference as speaker is open to postgraduate students (from Italian and foreign institutions), but early-career researchers and undergraduates are also encouraged to apply.
To participate it is necessary to send an e-mail to prolepsis.associazione AT gmail.com (official e-mail of the Association) by the 30th April 2016. The e-mail must contain the following PDF attachments:
1) An anonymous abstract of approximately 300 words, excluding references and in English. It should be indicated whether the paper is an oral presentation or a poster.
2) A short academic biography with name and affiliation of the author/authors of the paper.
Papers should be 20 minutes in length plus 10 minutes of discussion and the languages admitted are Italian and English.
Selected papers will be considered for publication.
Expenses for travel and accommodation will not be covered. For any enquiries write to firstname.lastname@example.org, we would be glad to help you to find solutions!
We are looking forward to receiving your submissions,
The organising committee: