Hodie est a.d. XV Kal. Quintiles (Iulias) 2772 AUC ~ 15 Skirophorion in the second year of the 699th Olympiad
In the News
- Ancient Settlement Adjacent to Philipopolis Discovered in Bulgaria’s Plovdiv in Rescue Digs – Archaeology in Bulgaria
- Do These Skeletons Hold the Secret to the Fall of the Roman Empire?
- Berliners wary as €600m super-museum is latest project to overrun | World news | The Guardian
In Case You Missed It
- VIDEO: Oldest intact shipwreck found in Bulgaria – Mehr News Agency
- [possibly paywalled] How rise of quake‑proof buildings stopped fall of the Roman empire | The Sunday Times
Public Facing Classicists
- Bestiaria Latina Blog: Latin Proverbs and Fables Round-Up: June 15
- The World of The Dragon: Genesis – Part VI – The Antonine Plague: Pestilence and Pandemic in Ancient Rome
- Carroll&McDowell circus has gone to Russia | Roberta Mazza
- Another Part of Scott Carroll’s Manuscript Network | Variant Readings
- E3 Announcements and Archaeogaming Curiosities – Archaeogaming
- The Edithorial: A Bloomsday Post on Another Irish Ulysses
- de rerum natura 1.62-79: Lucretius’ devotion to Epicurus – The Classical Anthology
- Sulpicia IV: On Adultery – The Classical Anthology
- Quick Thoughts on Open Access | Summertime Fragments
De tribus maximis praeceptis quibus puto in formandae rationes docendi Latine. Respuo etiam nomen “methodi” ut non iam aptum
Fiona joins David to discuss the Roman Society, including how it’s developed and the challenges it faces, the upcoming FIEC & CA conference, her work on the emperors Anastasius and Justinian, what led her to study Byzantium, and what areas of Late Antiquity she thinks need exploring.
- [BMCR] Erik Jensen, Barbarians in the Greek and Roman World.
- [BMCR] Charles Delattre, Emmanuelle Valette, Jean-François Cottier, Stavroula Kefallonitis, Mickaël Robreau and Joëlle Soler (ed.), Pragmatique du commentaire. Mondes anciens, mondes lointains. Antiquité et sciences humaines (ASH), 4.
- [BMCR] Miryana Dimitrova, Julius Caesar’s Self-Created Image and Its Dramatic Afterlife. Bloomsbury Academic studies in classical reception.
- [BMCR] Morris Silver, Slave-Wives, Single Women and “Bastards” in the Ancient Greek World: Law and Economics Perspectives.
- THE GREEK SUPERPOWER: SPARTA IN THE SELF-DEFINITIONS OF ATHENIANS – Classics for All
- XENOPHON: POROI (Revenue-Sources) – Classics for All
- Georgia – Early Origin and Antiquity. Appendix | Spartokos a lu
- Troesmis I, Die Forschungen von 2010–2014 | Spartokos a lu
- Call for Applications: Berlin Prize 2020/2021 | Society for Classical Studies
- Junior Cert Latin and Classical studies: Students receive ‘fair’ papers – Independent.ie