Hodie est a.d. XV Kal. Apr. 2772 AUC ~ 24 Anthesterion in the third year of the 699th Olympia
In the News
- Idlib Antiquities: A forgotten tragedy in northwest Syria – Syria Direct
- Rare Roman coin minted thousands of years ago among new treasures declared | London Evening Standard
- [Laodicea] Turkey: Ancient city in southwest comes to life
- Is there an historic Roman mosaic underneath site for 600 new homes? | Malvern Gazette
In Case You Missed It
Public Facing Classics
- [Caitlin Gillespie] Podcast: Who was the ancient warrior Queen Boudica? | BrandeisNOW
- Bestiaria Latina Blog: Special DOMI MANENDUM Edition
- New Book Day and Teaching Tuesday: DATAM: Digital Approaches to Teaching the Ancient Mediterranean | Archaeology of the Mediterranean World
- Misverstand: Het alfabet – Mainzer Beobachter
- Korinna’s Song: A Poetic Competition Between Mountains – SENTENTIAE ANTIQUAE
- A New Book and its Many ‘Authors’ – SENTENTIAE ANTIQUAE
- How papyrus rolls lost their tops and bottoms – from Oxyrhynchus – Roger Pearse
- Possible Heroes – SENTENTIAE ANTIQUAE
- AWOL – The Ancient World Online: FINAL REPORT | NOVEMBER 2019: Museum of the Bible Dead Sea Scroll Collection Scientific Research and Analysis
- Rome – Older Than You Thought! – SENTENTIAE ANTIQUAE
- New Acquisitions: Hoplite-Style Disease Control (March 17, 2020) – A Collection of Unmitigated Pedantry
- Hades’ Newest Bride: A Remarkable Epitaph – SENTENTIAE ANTIQUAE
- Intocht der gladiatoren – Mainzer Beobachter
“Sing, O muse, of the rage of Achilles, son of Peleus, that brought countless ills upon the Achaeans.” It begins: the Greek army marches on Troy
- [BMCR] Lindsay Watson, Magic in ancient Greece and Rome. . London; New York: Bloomsbury Academic, 2019.
- [BMCR] Richard J. Dougherty, Augustine’s political thought. Rochester studies in medieval political thought, 2. Woodbridge: Boydell & Brewer Ltd., 2019.
- [BMCR] Helen Roche, Kyriakos N. Demetriou, Brill’s Companion to the Classics, Fascist Italy and Nazi Germany. Brill’s Companions to Classical Reception, 12. Leiden: Brill, 2017.
- [BMCR] Anca Vasiliu, Penser Dieu: noétique et métaphysique dans l’Antiquité tardive. Bibliothèque d’histoire de la philosophie: nouvelle série . Paris: Librarie Philosophique J. Vrin, 2018.
- Histria – ghid album | Spartokos a lu
- CALL. 31.05.2020: Correctness in Comparison. Negotiating Linguistic Norms in Greek from the Imperial Roman until the Later Byzantine period (I – XV AD) – Wien (Austria)
- CALL. 15.05.2020: Ambiguity and Narratology – Tübingen (Germany)
- Interesting Story about Roman Quarry in Zvornik – Sarajevo Times
- Was St Patrick a runaway Roman taxman?
- Unearthed ancient treasures worth up to £5m in value, metal detectorists are reaping the rewards of a rich history
- Assassin’s Creed Odyssey is Free to Play This Weekend – Xbox One, Xbox 360 News At XboxAchievements.com
- How Early Christians Saved Lives and Spread the Gospel During Roman Plagues | Culture
- Marcus Aurelius’ guide to becoming a morning person – Big Think
- A Greek history of great plagues | Neos Kosmos
- The coronavirus is springing the Thucydides trap | Spectator USA
- Should we keep the Elgin Marbles? Museums begin rethinking their collections | inews
- Olympic torch relay began in 1936 at Hitler’s Berlin Games | FOX Sports
‘Sorting’ Out Your Day:
- Homeromanteion | Online Homeric Oracle
- Sortes Virgilianae (English)
- Sortes Virgilianae (Latin)
- Consult the Oracle at UCL
Today on the Etruscan Brontoscopic Calendar:
If it thunders today, it portends a period of severe rain and disease, an outbreak of locusts, and a very poor crop.
… adapted from the text and translation of:
Jean MacIntosh Turfa, The Etruscan Brontoscopic Calendar, in Nancy Thomson de Grummond and Erika Simon (eds.), The Religion of the Etruscans. University of Texas Press, 2006. (Kindle edition)