Hodie est a.d. VII Id. Dec 2775 AUC ~ 14 Poseideion in the second year of the 700th Olympiad
In the News
- Return of Elgin Marbles to Greece would be a ‘dangerous and slippery road’, warns Culture Secretary
- UK Tells British Museum Parthenon Marbles Can’t Go Back to Greece – The National Herald
- Early Christian inscriptions found at ‘Burnt Church’ near Galilee | World News
- First major dig in ancient Iraqi city since Isis destruction unearths ‘significant’ palace door sill
In Case You Missed It
- From eBay to UT, a priceless ancient Gospel of John papyrus fragment ends up in Austin | KEYE
- Ancient mummy portraits and rare Isis-Aphrodite idol discovered in Egypt | Live Science
- Artifacts seized from prominent New York collector as US authorities push to return looted treasures – ICIJ
- Netflix Docuseries ‘Ancient Apocalypse’ Facing Backlash From Archaeologists | The Mary Sue
- A Renowned Archaeologist Is Calling on Sotheby’s to Withdraw Potentially Looted Antiquities From Its Auction | Artnet News
- The Elgin Marbles may finally return to Greece, 200 years after being removed by British nobility | Live Science
Classicists and Classics in the News
- Veni, vidi, celebravi: Inside Brown’s 75-year-old Latin Carol Celebration | Brown University
- Experience ancient Rome at Brock’s 10th annual Saturnalia – The Brock News
- Ramsay MacMullen Obituary (2022) – New Haven, CT – New Haven Register
- Dr. Jordan Pickett’s research on Roman baths featured on Hyperallergic | Department of Classics | The University of Georgia
- Kretans and Cilicians: Athenians, Rhodians, and Romans pair “banditry” with imperial control (fifth-second centuries BCE) | Ethnic Relations and Migration in the Ancient World: The Websites of Philip A. Harland
- Finnish Institute at Athens presentation – ‘You are the bandit!’: Criminalizing Conquered Peoples, and Some Retorts | Ethnic Relations and Migration in the Ancient World: The Websites of Philip A. Harland
- New Work on Early Christian Attica | Archaeology of the Mediterranean World
- Measure of a Man | Sphinx
- Don’t Gossip About the Gods! – SENTENTIAE ANTIQUAE
- Inventa ergo… or maybe not. Recensio, part 2. – Roger Pearse
- AWOL – The Ancient World Online: Open Access Monograph Series: Corpus Medicorum Graecorum – Supplementum Orientale
- AWOL – The Ancient World Online: Transfer, Adaption und Neukonfiguration von Schrift- und Sprachwissen im Alten Orient
- Philo Can’t Trust His Mind: On Senses and Self – SENTENTIAE ANTIQUAE
- How to lose the first letter of a word in transmission – Roger Pearse
- AWOL – The Ancient World Online: Desert Networks
- Farewell Of Hector And Andromache, By An Unidentified Artist | The Historian’s Hut
- Portable Antiquity Collecting and Heritage Issues: A Decontextualised Spearhead “Saved from Rot”?
- Cynisme (1): Niets weten met Antisthenes – Mainzer Beobachter
- PaleoJudaica.com: Conference volume on Arrian’s Alexander
- PaleoJudaica.com: Meta-archaeology at the Sifting Project
- Spencer Alley: Zuccaro Brothers – Studies and Sketches
Assorted Twitter Threads
News of Galba’s betrayal makes its way to Nero who is shocked into action. He sends troops to stop Galba – but they switch sides and join the conspiracy. Nero goes into hiding with the intent of running away to Alexandria and Greece, but even that plan is betrayed. Finally, he comes to the end of his story. And so do we! This is our last episode ever.
The Society for American Archaeology sent an open letter to Netflix with a list of complaints and requests in reaction to its hit show “Ancient Apocalypse”. I give my analysis and reaction.
- Priapus – warding off the evil eye- making guests laugh upon arrival at House of Vettii in Pompeii – YouTube | Darius Arya Digs
- Jason And The Argonauts Are Back. (ARGO By Mark Knowles Book Review) – YouTube | Moan Inc.
- BMCR ~ Pedar W. Foss, Pliny and the eruption of Vesuvius. Abingdon and New York: Routledge, 2022.
- BMCR ~ Judith M. Barringer, François Lissarrague, Images at the crossroads: media and meaning in Greek art. Edinburgh Leventis Studies. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 2021.
- BMCR ~ Ilsetraut Hadot, Simplicius the Neoplatonist in light of contemporary research: a critical review. Academia Philosophical Studies, 67. Baden-Baden: Academia Verlag, 2020.
Online Talks and Conference-Related Things
Jobs, Postdocs, and other Professional Matters
- Four positions in Late Antique Studies at Tuebingen, Germany
- Visiting Assistant Professor of Greek, Latin and Classical Studies Bryn Mawr College
- Placement:Service | Society for Classical Studies
- Would You Be Considered Beautiful in Ancient Greece?
- Why the Gonzo ‘Rome Isn’t Real’ Conspiracy Keeps Going Viral
- The Dark Side Of Ancient Egypt: An Era Of Inequality & Brutality | HistoryExtra
- The day Caligula absurdly challenged the mighty god Poseidon
‘Sorting’ Out Your Day:
- Homeromanteion | Online Homeric Oracle
- Sortes Virgilianae (English)
- Sortes Virgilianae (Latin)
- Consult the Oracle at UCL
Today on the Etruscan Brontoscopic Calendar:
If it thunders today, it portends the same for everyone.
… adapted from the text and translation of:
Jean MacIntosh Turfa, The Etruscan Brontoscopic Calendar, in Nancy Thomson de Grummond and Erika Simon (eds.), The Religion of the Etruscans. University of Texas Press, 2006. (Kindle edition)