Hodie est a.d. XIII Kal. Feb. 2772 AUC ~ 26 Poseideon II in the third year of the 699th Olympiad
In the News
No news for a Blue Monday!
In Case You Missed It
- This world-renowned female artist’s sculptured piece on Queen Cleopatra disappeared for over a century – Face2Face Africa
- Bestiaria Latina Blog: Latin Proverbs and Fables Round-Up: January 19
- The Drinking Cure – SENTENTIAE ANTIQUAE
- AWOL – The Ancient World Online: Samothrace
- Loss of Speech Is Not Melancholy – SENTENTIAE ANTIQUAE
- AWOL – The Ancient World Online: Klinai
- [BMCR] W. S. Scarborough, William Sanders Scarborough’s ‘First Lessons in Greek’: A Facsimile of the 1881 First Edition. Foreword by Ward W. Briggs, Jr.; introduction by Michele Valerie Ronnick. Chicago: Bolchazi-Carducci, 2019.
- [BMCR] Stephen J. Shoemaker, The Apocalypse of Empire: Imperial Eschatology in Late Antiquity and Early Islam. Divinations: rereading late ancient religion. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 2018.
- [BMCR] Ralph W. Mathisen, Ancient Roman Civilization: History and Sources 753 BCE to 640 CE. New York, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2019.
- [BMCR] Jill L. Baker, Technology of the Ancient Near East. From the Neolithic to the Early Roman Period. London; New York: Routledge, 2019.
- The Flavian Empire – 18-19 / 06/2020, Maynooth (Ireland)
- The Tale of Two Traditions. Roman Culture and Ancient Greek Narratives under the Principate – 28-29/05/2020, Ghent (Belgium)
- London Summer School in Classics 2020 | Department of Greek & Latin – UCL – London’s Global University
- ‘Child slavery in the Roman empire’. An international conference, 16-18 June | The University of Edinburgh
‘Sorting’ Out Your Day:
- Homeromanteion | Online Homeric Oracle
- Sortes Virgilianae (English)
- Sortes Virgilianae (Latin)
- Consult the Oracle at UCL
Today on the Etruscan Brontoscopic Calendar:
If it thunders today, it portends an abundance of imported goods, but an outbreak of coughing diseases will affect the people.
… adapted from the text and translation of:
Jean MacIntosh Turfa, The Etruscan Brontoscopic Calendar, in Nancy Thomson de Grummond and Erika Simon (eds.), The Religion of the Etruscans. University of Texas Press, 2006. (Kindle edition)