Columnar Crime?

Somewhat strange (to me) item apparently circulating with not enough detail on the AP Wire … from PR Inside:

Police in northern Greece say they have seized six sections of ancient marble columns from a junkyard and arrested the owners for antiquity smuggling.
The sections of the 2,300-year-old columns are up to 13 feet (4 meters) tall.
The suspects, aged 21 and 28, told police they imported the antiquities legally from neighboring Bulgaria _ but the claim is being treated with suspicion after police examined their documents.

The two men were arrested Tuesday near the northern town of Veroia, 305 miles (490 kilometers) north of Athens, and are being held in police custody until they are formally charged.

From the Italian Press

Assorted items of interest which may or may not make it to the English-reading press:

A pair of 5th/4th century B.C. burials found during sewer construction in Canosa:

From the same period come similar finds from Castellaneta; the site is clearly much larger, but there aren’t any funds to excavate, apparently:

A second century A.D. necropolis of some 300 burials from the Piana del Sole-Castel Malnome; apparently already found by tombaroli:

A story about some guy who discovered the thing he was using in his garden as a trough or whatever for these past number of years was actually a fourth century Roman sarcophagus:

The first century (A.D.) Roman Villa at Pincio, which includes first century (B.C.) mosaics, will be restored by this fall:

Some purloined Apulian (?) items recovered over forty years ago are going on display; interesting comments at the end of the piece about how the lack of provenance presents difficulties for researchers:

An Italian woman was arrested at the airport in Florence with some antiquities from Herculaneum and the Villa Soria at Torre del Greco:

Some tombaroli were apprehended in Enna:

The Sanctuary of Minerva at Breno is open to the public until the end of September:

They’ve reopened some of the rooms in the Baths of Diocletian:

A sort of touristy thing on the House of the Surgeon at Rimini:

Interesting treasure-hunt-in-the-museum idea:

Another Return for the Getty

This one’s been bursting all over the newswires for the past few hours … plenty of coverage, but the incipit to the LA Times version (plus their photo) seems to be most of the info that’s circulating now:

LA Times Photo
LA Times Photo

In its latest effort to return wayward ancient artworks to their rightful owners, the J. Paul Getty Museum will send a Roman fresco fragment to Italy. The fragmentary panel, a roughly 36-by-32-inch section of a wall painting made in the third quarter of the 1st century BC, joined the museum’s collection in 1996 as a gift of New York collectors Barbara and Lawrence Fleischman.

The museum — which has returned 39 antiquities to Italy since 2007 — listed the fragment as “at some risk of forfeiture” and stated its appraised value at the time of donation as $150,000 in a 2005 internal assessment, compiled during an investigation of objects that might have been illegally exported.

But Getty officials didn’t decide to repatriate the fragment until about a year ago, when an image of it appeared in a catalog published by the Italian Ministry of Culture, said Karol Wight, the Getty’s curator of antiquities. The catalog included a “conjectural reconstruction,” she said, suggesting that the fragment and two others previously returned to Italy — one by the Los Angeles museum, also donated by the Fleischmans; the other by New York collector Shelby White — were once part of the same artwork.

“We saw the diagram and recognized immediately that the proper thing to do would be to contact the ministry and begin the process of deaccessioning and arranging to return the piece to Italy,” Wight said.

The ragged-edged fragment recently removed from display at the Getty Villa portrays a greenish landscape and buildings, seen through two framed windows. Whether it and the two other fresco pieces  actually belong together or were painted in separate, similar scenes will probably remain a mystery. No one knows the original location of the painted wall that might have contained the recovered sections or what the entire artwork depicted, Wight said.

Back in January 2008, David Gill wondered whether the Getty would be returning this piece (which seems to match up to a couple of other pieces … see photos at DG’s site) …

UPDATE (04/09/09): David Gill has now made a couple of comments on this subject:

‘Jesus Ossuary’ Trial Update

In case you were wondering … the trial of all those folks associated with the so-called ‘Jesus Ossuary’ has ‘stalled’ (for want of a better term, I suppose). The Jerusalem Post has a lengthy piece … here’s the interesting bits:

According to the Antiquities Authority, Deutsch and Golan conspired to forge an ancient decanter, several inscribed pieces of pottery and dozens of seal impressions – known as bulae – some bearing the names of Israelite kings mentioned in the Bible. They are accused of publishing scholarly papers on the items to enhance their value, and then selling them for thousands of dollars to unsuspecting collectors.

After Deutsch was indicted, he was fired from a teaching post at the University of Haifa and dismissed as a supervisor at the Megiddo excavations.

“I have never faked anything in my life,” said Deutsch. “I’m the first person to call something a fake, because it pollutes the profession that I have made my expertise.”

On the witness stand, Deutsch said he knew Golan, his alleged co-conspirator, only through business. He said the Antiquities Authority and police had failed to find a single e-mail between the two men, or any evidence linking him to forgery despite repeated raids on his home and shops.

Deutsch said the trial was an attempt to shut down the licensed trade in antiquities in Israel, even though it is legal and he has held a license from the authority for the past 30 years.

“The Antiquities Authority thinks we are no better than antiquities thieves,” he said. “They believe that our legal trade is worse than theft because we are encouraging the robbers.”

“They went to the Knesset and tried to pass legislation banning trade in antiquities and they failed. Now they are using this trial to destroy our business,” he said.

“I don’t know how much lower they can get, the people who cooked up this trial,” he said. “They misled the prosecution, they misled the press and they came up with all sorts of stories with no basis in reality.”

One charge against Deutsch and Golan is that in 1995 they conspired to inscribe an ancient decanter with a text linking it to the Temple service and sell it to billionaire collector Shlomo Moussaieff.

“To increase the significance of the decanter and enhance its price,” the indictment charges, “Defendant No. 2 published the decanter in a volume of archeology which he authored on the subject of Hebraic inscriptions from the First Temple period.”

But Deutsch produced the book in court – exhibit No. 4 – and showed that it was already at the printer in 1994, by which time the decanter was already in the Moussaieff collection. The book cannot have been used to enhance the sale price.

In addition, Deutsch and Golan have both produced compelling evidence to show that the decanter, like the rest of the items, is authentic.

The prosecution, which took nearly three years to present its case, has had difficulty proving the alleged conspiracy. When Oded Golan took the stand last year, he produced plausible explanations for the all the apparent evidence of forgery found in repeated raids on his home, business premises and storage facilities.

Expectations that the prosecution would produce an Egyptian craftsman it alleges actually faked most of the items were dashed when he refused to come to Israel to give evidence.

The star prosecution witness, Tel Aviv University’s Prof. Yuval Goren, was forced to recant some of his testimony based on scientific tests that showed the patina – the encrustation that adheres to ancient objects – to be a modern concoction. Further scientific evidence based on isotopic analysis of the patina looked increasingly unconvincing after other scientists tested the same items and came to the opposite conclusion.

Last October, the trial appeared close to collapse after Judge Aharon Farkash advised the prosecution to consider dropping the proceedings.

“After all the evidence we have heard, including the testimony of the prime defendant, is the picture still the same as the one you had when he was charged?” the judge pointedly asked the prosecutor. “Maybe we can save ourselves the rest.”

“Have you really proved beyond a reasonable doubt that these artifacts are fakes as charged in the indictment? The experts disagreed among themselves” Farkash said.

The trial continues.

Sounds like someone seriously mishandled this one …

Tombaroli in Decline?

As I try to cleanup the backlog caused by assorted technical things over the past couple of weeks, I have come across an item I misfiled which I find to be very interesting. The Sunday Herald (February 27, 2009) reports on the ‘sudden’ (for want of a better term) decline in tombaroli. It begins thusly:

ITALIAN POLICE announced on Friday they had recovered a haul of antiquities looted from tombs in the east-central Marche region. The booty, some 1500 objects in all, had been dug up by a team of “tombaroli”, Italy’s tomb raiders, and covered a period stretching from 8th century BC to 5th century AD. Among the most prized items were Hellenistic vases, drinking cups and a bronze statuette of the goddess Minerva.

Some further excerpts:

Pietro Casasanta, a retired tombarolo who lives in the countryside north of Rome, registered the change last week in a disconsolate interview with the Associated Press.

In the past, he worked during the day with a bulldozer, deliberately using the same hours as construction crews to become one of Italy’s most successful plunderers of archaeological treasures.

When he wasn’t in prison, the convicted looter operated for decades in the countryside area outside Rome.

Now, he says, it is becoming more difficult to dig and to sell. “The whole network of merchants has disappeared,” he complained.

[…]

“If the American museums are not buying any more it’s obvious that the market will dry up,” said Maria Bonmassar, a spokeswoman for the Italian culture ministry.

She noted that the psychological climate had changed and Italians now prized their artistic heritage. The people of Morgantina in Sicily, for example, have campaigned actively for the return of a headless statue of Venus stolen from their area that is still in the hands of the Getty Museum.

Bonmassar said: “In the past, if people found antiquities while digging the foundations of a house they would try to conceal them. Now, there is an awareness that this is a part of our cultural patrimony.”

Elsewhere in the article comes the claim:

Last year, the carabinieri art squad discovered just 37 illegal digs, a tiny figure compared with the 1000 or so regularly found in the 1990s.

Okay … this was beginning to sound vaguely familiar, so I poked around my archives and found an item we had mentioned from the International Herald Tribune, in which this same tombarolo is saying pretty much the same things; problem is, the article is from 2007. In that same article, we are told of 40 illegal digs being found in 2007. I can’t find anything else about this bust at Marche, so I’m not sure at all how much of the current item is actually new …