Hodie est a.d. XII Kal. Septembres 2772 AUC ~ 21 Metageitnion in the third year of the 699th Olympiad
In the News
- Archaeologists race to uncover secrets of mysterious ancient fort before it collapses into sea | The Independent
- Archaeological Site from Roman Times Discovered in Sisak
- The New Treasures of Pompeii | History | Smithsonian
- protection of cultural heritage in the territory of occupied Crimea: pursuit of international legal channels by Ukraine | conflict antiquities
- Laudator Temporis Acti: Exhortation on the Battlefield
- Leaping Like Achilles – SENTENTIAE ANTIQUAE
- Comix from Crete: the Minotaur | Greek Myth Comix
- Taco Terpstra’s Trade in the Ancient Mediterranean: Finished Review | Archaeology of the Mediterranean World
- Homeric Greek | Odyssey 1.239–251: Harpies, suitors and all the Achaeans | The Kosmos Society
- Which Season is Sweetest? – SENTENTIAE ANTIQUAE
Sermo centesimus: tria affero carmina, nec non librum recitatum “Ad Alpes” commendo.
- [BMCR] Jonathan Wallis, Introspection and Engagement in Propertius: A Study of Book 3. Cambridge classical studies.
- [BMCR] Hélène Casanova-Robin, Giovanni Pontano. L’Éridan/Eridanus. Les classiques de l’humanisme.
- [BMCR] Katherine M. D. Dunbabin, Theater and Spectacle in the Art of the Roman Empire. Townsend lectures / Cornell studies in classical philology.
- [BMCR] Bruce Ware Allen, Tiber: Eternal River of Rome.
- [BMCR] Alexander O’Hara (ed.), Columbanus and the Peoples of Post-Roman Europe. Oxford studies in late antiquity.
- TEACHING CLASSICS WITH TECHNOLOGY – Classics for All
- NEW LIGHT ON TONY HARRISON – Classics for All
- The Pichvnari Fifth Century BC Colchian Cemetery (Pichvnari VII) | Spartokos a lu
- Mythos: A Trilogy (Gods) review — Stephen Fry at his story-telling best | Times2 | The Times
- Mythos: Gods, Edinburgh International Festival, review: a fascinating evening with that titan of storytelling, Stephen Fry
- Senior Instructor in Ancient Greek and Latin | Faculty of Classics Oxford
- Tenure-Track Faculty Position in Classics – College of the Holy Cross
- Assistant Professor of Classics – Kalamazoo College | Society for Classical Studies
- Rome Director – AAR | Society for Classical Studies
- The enduring influence of the Etruscans on Italian culture – Ancient ancestors
- Carthage exhibition at the Colosseum in Rome – Wanted in Rome
- Stoicism: Fast-Growing Global Movement Will Hold Conference in Greece in October | GreekReporter.com
- Mary Magdalene, Digital Queer – EIDOLON
‘Sorting’ Out Your Day:
- Homeromanteion | Online Homeric Oracle
- Sortes Virgilianae (English)
- Sortes Virgilianae (Latin)
- Consult the Oracle at UCL
Today on the Etruscan Brontoscopic Calendar:
If it should thunder today, it portends both prosperity and discord among the common people.
… adapted from the text and translation of:
Jean MacIntosh Turfa, The Etruscan Brontoscopic Calendar, in Nancy Thomson de Grummond and Erika Simon (eds.), The Religion of the Etruscans. University of Texas Press, 2006. (Kindle edition)