Hodie est a.d. XII Kal. Octobres 2772 AUC ~ 22 Boedromion in the third year of the 699th Olympiad
In the News
- Ancient Greek relic identified in Gibraltar: ‘gorgoneion’ unearthed in Gorham’s Cave – Gibraltar News – GBC TV and Radio Gibraltar
- Turkish Archaeologists Unearth 2,200-Year-Old Lion Statue | Al Bawaba
- Architectural details of ancient city come to light
In Case You Missed It
- A Total War Saga: Troy: first gameplay details and screenshots – Polygon
- Getty Launches $100 Million Project to Safeguard Heritage | Smart News | Smithsonian
- Whistleblower in Ancient Greek – SENTENTIAE ANTIQUAE
- Teaching Thursday: Revisiting Clark’s History, Theory, Text | Archaeology of the Mediterranean World
- Achilles’ Name(s), When He Was A Girl – SENTENTIAE ANTIQUAE
- The History Girls: Pompeii and me by Mary Hoffman
- Freud and Egypt: an exhibition at the Freud Museum – Institute of Classical Studies Blog
Laura joins David to talk about Greek Myth Comix, which started when she made an pact with one of her Classical Civilisation students to get back into drawing. She discusses her favourite graphic novel authors and writers, the difficulties in adapting the ancient world for modern audiences (and why she wasn’t a fan of the BBC show Atlantis), and when Greek Myth Comix got onto the front page of Reddit. Laura also chats about her work on the Amarantus and his Neighbourhood project from Cambridge School Latin, which aims to teach kids about life among the lower-classes of Pompeii
‘Natural and man-made geography exerts its influence on warfare, determining the passage of whole armies and fleets, sometimes allowing a single soldier to hold up an entire host.’
The team discuss Ancient Warfare Magazine XIII.2 ‘Hunting for good ground: The role of geography in warfare’.
Octona milia passuum cotidie. Cur?
- [BMCR] David-Arthur Daix, Matthieu Fernandez (ed.), Démosthène: Contre Aphobos I et II. Suivi de Contre Midias. Commentario, 9.
- [BMCR] Antonio Gonzales, Maria Teresa Schettino (ed.), Tra le rive del Mediterraneo: relazioni diplomatiche, propaganda e egemonia politica nella Sicilia antica. Geloi, I.
- [BMCR] Andrea Massimo Cuomo, Erich Trapp (ed.), Toward a Historical Sociolinguistic Poetics of Medieval Greek. Studies in Byzantine history and civilization (SBHC), 12.
- Vicky Vox Will Star In ZEUS ON THE LOOSE At Fire Nightclub
- TIFF Film Review: ‘Antigone’ is a Jarring Adaptation of a Greek Tragedy • AwardsCircuit.com by Clayton Davis
- Lecture: Making Classics Public | Society for Classical Studies
- Conference: The Empire and the Individual | Society for Classical Studies
- ASCSA NEH Fellowships – Deadline October 31, 2019 | CAAS-CW
- Gladiator: 10 Hidden Details You Never Noticed | ScreenRant
- Virgil and the Homeless Nations – Tablet Magazine
- Be excellent: how ancient virtues can guide our responses to the climate crisis
- Lessons in Stoicism review – what ancient philosophers teach us about how to live | Books | The Guardian
‘Sorting’ Out Your Day:
- Homeromanteion | Online Homeric Oracle
- Sortes Virgilianae (English)
- Sortes Virgilianae (Latin)
- Consult the Oracle at UCL
Today on the Etruscan Brontoscopic Calendar:
If it should thunder today, it portends a long-standing dispute and for the majority, extreme suffering out of the conflict.
… adapted from the text and translation of:
Jean MacIntosh Turfa, The Etruscan Brontoscopic Calendar, in Nancy Thomson de Grummond and Erika Simon (eds.), The Religion of the Etruscans. University of Texas Press, 2006. (Kindle edition)