Hodie est a.d. III Non. Quintiles (Iulias) 2772 AUC ~ 4 Hekatombaion in the third year of the 699th Olympiad
Stay tuned for our ‘Weekend Edition’, which will debut some time tomorrow!
In the News
- Roman treasure found buried in East Yorkshire field – Hull Live
- Did Vatican Hide Art That Depicted Female Priests?
- Former prison island declared an area of archaeological interest | News | ekathimerini.com
- Tornos News | “The Stones Speak” initiative in Athens
- Acropolis Hill closes as temperatures climb | News | ekathimerini.com
In Case You Missed It
- German archaeologists suggest Biblical-era Philistines came from Europe | News | DW | 04.07.2019
- [possibly paywalled] Teeming with riddles, Israel’s most beautiful mosaic reveals ancient liberal Judaism – Archaeology – Haaretz.com
Public Facing Classics
- [Adrienne Mayor] Pandora’s Vox – Foreign Policy
- [Luby Kiriakidi] Rome Celebrates Her Ovid – In Medias Res – Medium
- [Nathaniel Andrade] Voices In The Margins – EIDOLON
- [Krishnan Ram-Prasad] Reclaiming the Ancient World – EIDOLON
- Exploring the Relationship of the American School of Classical Studies at Athens with the Greek Omogeneia in the United States in the 1940s. | From the Archivist’s Notebook
- Another Day Of Freedom – SENTENTIAE ANTIQUAE
- Naked Soul 2019: Conference Reflections – Amy Pistone
- Typologies | Summertime Fragments
- The Right To Criticize the King: The Iliad and Freedom of Speech – SENTENTIAE ANTIQUAE
- Art and Poetry, Poetry and Art | Sphinx
The complex relationship between the patricians and plebeians is central to our appreciation of the 460s BCE. In this episode we’ll get to consider the complexities first hand with the entrance of Caeso Quinctius (remember this name, he’s going places!).
num usui sit, discentibus Latine legere, hoc sermone loqui vel scribere.
- [BMCR] Antonio Rigo, Michele Trizio, Eleftherios Despotakis (ed.), Byzantine Hagiography: Texts, Themes and Projects. Studies in Byzantine History and Civilization, 13.
- [BMCR] Jacqueline Feke, Ptolemy’s Philosophy: Mathematics as a Way of Life.
- [BMCR] Falko Daim, Dominik Heher, Claudia Rapp, Christian Gastgeber (ed.), Menschen, Bilder, Sprache, Dinge: Wege der Kommunikation zwischen Byzanz und dem Westen. 2 vols. Byzanz zwischen Orient und Okzident, 1/2.
- The Suppliants | Epidaurus | July 5-6 | What’s On | ekathimerini.com
- A great Greek tragedy is unmasked powerfully back at Genesius | Entertainment | qconline.com
- Here’s What Makes the ‘First-Century Mark’ Saga Complicated | Christianity Today
- The Importance Of Homer To The Greeks And His Influence On Modern Culture – The Organization for World Peace
- An Archeological Space Oddity | The New Yorker
- 10 Things We Learned From The Horrible Histories Movie Trailer
- Spartacus: 5 Things That Are Historically Accurate (And 5 Things That Are Completely Fabricated)
- ‘I only love the fairer sex’: The wild world of the ‘first modern lesbian’ – World News – Haaretz.com
- Opening times of some museums, sites to change on Sunday | News | ekathimerini.com
- Tornos News | 4th of July: Ancient Greek ideals that influenced US Independence (video)