Hodie est a.d. VI Id. Quintiles (Iulias) 2772 AUC ~ 9 Hekatombaion in the third year of the 699th Olympiad
In the News
- Giant marble pyramid-shaped island complex rising from sea uncovered, revealing secrets of ancient Greece’s origins | The Independent
- Turkey: Ancient ‘Sacred Road’ unearthed
- Turkish Citizen Arrested for Smuggling Hundreds of Ancient Greek Coins | GreekReporter.com
- [possibly paywalled] Judith McKenzie obituary | The Times
In Case You Missed It
- Athens initiative ‘The Stones Speak’ is getting people to re-engage with Greece’s rich ancient cultural heritage | Neos Kosmos
- At least ten unexploded bombs are hidden in the ruins of Pompeii / Boing Boing
- The Key to a Long Life: Magic (Or Maybe Climate and Diet) – SENTENTIAE ANTIQUAE
- Survived | Summertime Fragments
- A Rather Elite Writing Group: Pliny and Tacitus – SENTENTIAE ANTIQUAE
Odysseus – after twenty years away – wakes up on the shores of his own dear Ithaka. Athena provides her boy with an intelligence briefing, a reconnoiter strategy, and, of course, a disguise. And then Odysseus launches into the most dangerous part of his homecoming journey yet: figuring a way to overcome 108 dangerous suitors, and one very circumspect wife. This episode includes a bittersweet of father-son reunion, a heartbreaking story of a faithful dog, and an episode-concluding cliff-hanger: “Does Penelope KNOW, or NOT KNOW, that that beggar in her hall, is actually her husband Odysseus?”.
- [BMCR] Nathanael J. Andrade, Zenobia: Shooting Star of Palmyra. Women in Antiquity.
- [BMCR] Dennis Looney, D. Mark Possanza, Ludovico Ariosto. Latin Poetry. I Tatti Renaissance Library, 84.
- HOMER: A VERY SHORT INTRODUCTION – Classics for All
- Eye for an Eye Fringe writer reaches back to Euripides and the Greek tragedies – DC Theatre Scene
- Northfield Arts Guild presents ‘The Odyssey’ | Community | southernminn.com
- Archaeologist Petros Themelis gives Australians a glimpse into Ancient Messene and beyond | Neos Kosmos
- Musical beginnings in Ancient Greece | Latest Brexit news and top stories – The New European
- Voyage to the Center of the World – The New York Times
- We can all learn from Regulus’s heroic self-sacrifice | Catholic Herald
- Were There Drive-Throughs in Ancient Rome? – Truth or Fiction?